Mid Century Modern Coffee Table – The modern style of mid-century was influential between 1930 and 1960, but the look came back in a big way in recent years. Elegant lines, conical legs, and a minimalist approach to design are fundamental in the mid-century look Mad Men-esque and the faded colors and textured fabrics such as vinyl and suede.
Although buying the real thing can be costly, you can easily copy this look at a price that will not leave your wallet empty. Focusing on some mid-century elements in your room can transform a space without going to the sea.
And that’s it! You can build this table with very few tools and a little fat for your elbow. It’s very sturdy, it has great storage, and it looks perfect. Happy building!
The coffee table is the real protagonist in the living room, along with the sofa. Around the area that makes up this furniture revolves the life of your living. Caring for your design, the practice that must be to adjust to your needs, and the correct measures, will facilitate the dynamism of the stay.
How to choose the coffee table
Based on the fact that you have already chosen the living room furniture and its distribution, you should take into account some tips:
- The coffee table and sofa should be chosen together – both elements have to coordinate, especially if you have more than one sofa or armchair to create the rest area.
- Give prominence to only one of them – If the sofa (or sofas) are very colorful, choose a discreet coffee table and vice versa. With sofas of straight lines and neutral or black colors, you can choose a table that attracts attention. The important thing is to avoid sharp contrasts.
- The shape of the table should be adjusted to the distribution of the rest area – With this, you make it easy to use from any seat. The most versatile is the rectangular one. Both the round and the square will force you to extend the rest area, very important if you do not have many meters.
Measurements and dimensions of coffee tables
Although they may vary according to your tastes and the dimensions of your living, keep these measures in mind.
- The coffee tables usually measure 120 x 80 centimeters, and their standard height is 40-50 centimeters. As a general guide, keep in mind that you should never exceed the height of the sofa. If you go beyond that, you will prevent the continuity of the line of sight of the television, a window, the door, and, in addition, it will stop being comfortable.
- Between the table and the sofas or seats, you will need between 50 and 60 centimeters of distance so that the circulation is fluid.
- Choose the size of the table according to the distribution of the seating area. There are three usual distributions: in the form of ‘U,’ in the form of ‘L,’ or in parallel. A rectangular table is suitable for all. Depending on the dimensions of the sofas and the size of the living room, you may need to buy a larger coffee table. Another solution is to put two squares, twins, that cover more space.
- If the space between the seating areas is huge, renounce the round or square ones. Small sofas are more practical, but the greater the diameter, the more meters you will have to dedicate to the rest area.
Materials and table models
We find coffee tables of all kinds of material, from wooden tables, more traditional, to modern design tables or glass tables through iron, wrought iron, or a mixture of two or more of them: wrought iron and glass, wood and glass or forge and wood.
In addition to those that have similar characteristics, although different size or materials of this type of furniture, you will also find innovative, almost sculptural designs or pieces that, although they are not properly tables, do that function, such as trunks, suitcases, poufs and stools or, for example, a transformed wooden pallet.
Functions of the coffee table
Also called coffee, although there are slight differences in its origin, it has a polyvalent function.
- Mark the center in the rest area and social gathering.
- It serves to take refreshments, a table-top drink, or coffee or tea in a social meeting in an area that favors conversation.
- He often has a television in front of him, so it is likely to have a lot of use.
- If you have small children, they will use it as a desk and a game table because of their low height.
- It will serve to highlight a piece in which you have interest, books, vases with flowers, or boxes. Some have an exhibitor drawer whose contents can be seen through the envelope glass. It is the ideal place for some of your collections.
- You can choose multipurpose tables, which have space to store or that can be raised to match.
In furniture, the time has taught us that imagination and creativity do a great job in our living rooms.